"Rafaela Who Drinks Coconut & Papaya Juice on Tuesdays"
- What is making Rafaela grow old?
- Who was Rapunzel, and why would Rafaela dream of having hair like hers?
- Describe the relationship between Sally and her father.
- How do her schoolmates see her?
- What transformation takes place when Sally comes home?
"Minerva Writes Poems"
- Why does Minerva write poems? Why is she black and blue when she visits Esperanza?
"Bums in the Attic"
- What does Esperanza's father do for a living?
- Why has Esperanza stopped joining her family on their Sunday outings?
"Beautiful & Cruel"
- What is the nature of Esperanza's "quiet war" ? Against whom—or what—is she fighting?
"A Smart Cookie"
- How would you categorize the things Esperanza's mother knows?
- What things might she not know that Esperanza does?
- Why do you think she left school?
"The Monkey Garden"/"Red Clowns"/"Linoleum Roses"
- How does the Monkey Garden change?
- What does Sally do that makes Esperanza so angry?
- From whom is she trying to save her?
- What eventually happens to Sally?
- How does Esperanza feel about her marriage?
"The Three Sisters"
- How does Esperanza meet the three sisters?
- What kind of future do they predict for her?
- What is the responsibility they place on her?
"Mango Says Goodbye Sometimes"
- How does the ending of The House on Mango Street complete a circle?